Debris at NJ beach stirs body parts rumor
AVON, N.J. (AP) - July 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities are trying to determine whether body parts were among debris that washed up on a New Jersey beach.
Authorities kept swimmers away when the debris, intertwined with clothing and netting, came ashore in Avon on Sunday afternoon.
Chief lifeguard Timothy Gallagher tells the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/MCw31D ) the debris contained matter that no one could identify.
Gallagher says rumors that a dead body was found spread on social media.
The debris was turned over to the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. More information is expected later in the week.
new jersey, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 15 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...