Buffett's Margaritaville coming to Atlantic City
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - July 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Resorts Casino is bringing one of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville casino-entertainment complexes to Atlantic City, where casino and government officials are hoping the singer's legion of fans known as Parrotheads will help revive the shore resort.
The project, due to open in 2013, will be built as an addition to Resorts, which said it will re-theme its Boardwalk facade with the Margaritaville brand.
Gov. Chris Christie, joining Resorts officials and Buffett at a news conference to announce the plans, called them another important step forward in efforts to revitalize Atlantic City, whose casino revenues have been on a downward spiral.
He said Atlantic City's success is important both to the region and the state.
Buffett operates a casino and restaurant business internationally under the Margaritaville brand, inspired by the 1970s hit song of the same name. The first one opened in Florida's Key West. The Atlantic City complex will be the first on the East Coast.
Resorts owner Morris Bailey said getting a Margaritaville is a coup for Atlantic City, providing a must-see attraction for the resort.
Buffett, who is scheduled to perform at Boardwalk Hall on Aug. 4, said he is eager to help the city regain its place as a beach vacation destination.
The tropical-themed Margaritaville complex at Resorts will include a casino, restaurant and bar, retail stores, LandShark Bar and Grill and year-round beach bar complex.
Four years ago, Buffett was involved in an effort, which fell through, to transform the former Trump Marina Hotel Casino into a Margaritaville resort.
new jersey, atlantic city, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 9 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 35 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 24 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
35 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
28 min ago