Temple Univ. tops off new residence hall
PHILADELPHIA - July 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Temple University is celebrating another milestone in its development Wednesday with a "topping off" ceremony for the final phase of construction on a brand new residence hall.
Thanks to the generosity of a Temple alumnus, a new 27 story residential tower is transforming the Philadelphia sky-line along North Broad Street.
"It makes a bold new statement about Temple's presence and its role in the city," says Richard Englert.
Temple's acting President, Richard Englert joined Temple trustee and Alumnus Mitchell Morgan and his wife Hillary Wednesday afternoon to formally introduce Morgan Hall.
Mitchell attended Temple in the early 70's when the school was a commuting college.
"We've gone from a commuting university to a college where probably 60% of our students live here every day, and this will add 1,200 more beds to the university," said Mitchell.
The 27-story tower will also provide suites for four students, each with a full kitchen, shared living space and two bathrooms, as well as spectacular views of the city.
The project is not only important to Temple, but to the revitalization of the north Broad Street corridor.
The building will also add retail space along North Broad to complement the tower. There will be a 10-story mid-rise residential structure, and a separate dining hall.
"What it really says is that students continuously want to come to Temple, and they want to come to Philadelphia," said Englert.
The complex has been named in honor of Mitchell and his wife, Hilarie, for their lifelong support of the University.
"It is wonderful to see the tremendous pride that Mitch has in Temple University, and in the values he has gained through his education there," said Hilarie Morgan.
The Morgan's joined Temple officials in signing the ceremonial top beam, and then it was a champagne toast as the beam was hoisted into place.
Mitchell and Hilarie Morgan Hall is set to open in September of 2013.
temple university, philadelphia, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees