Rally against PA Voter ID law in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - July 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The debate over whether Pennsylvania's new voter identification law is discriminatory has sparked demonstrations across the state.
More than 100 protesters rallied in Center City Wednesday morning to voice their opposition to Pennsylvania's Voter Identification Law.
The rally coincided with the first day of the hearing in Harrisburg challenging the measure, which would require voters to present a valid government-issued photo ID.
"There will be a group of people who will not be able to vote. Their rights are really being taken away," said State Senator Shirley Kitchen.
A recent state study estimates that more than 750,000 Pennsylvania voters don't have drivers' licenses or other acceptable ID.
And opponents of the measure say it's a transparent effort by Republican Governor Tom Corbett to disenfranchise likely Democratic voters in urban centers like Philadelphia.
"Every vote counts," Marvin Robinson of Action United told the demonstrators. "So we're going to let Governor Corbett and the rest of them know that we're not going to stand for this nonsense that they're trying to pull. It's our Constitutional right."
As the protesters marched from the Municipal Services Building to the Bellevue, where the governor has an office, many covered their mouths with duct tape to symbolize how the ID law could silence voters.
Sam Durso said his elderly Aunt from South Philadelphia is among those impacted.
"She is home-bound," he told Action News. "She does not have a driver's license. She obviously does not have a work ID. She won't be able to vote unless one of us can take a day off from work and get her down to get ID."
The hearing in Harrisburg is supposed to last 5-7 days. The demonstrators say they won't give up their efforts during that time. In fact some are even calling for a recall of the governor.
pennsylvania, local/state, amy buckman
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth! 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Record Warmth!
56 min ago