Evacuations after gas main struck in Lehigh Co.
LOWER MACUNGIE, Pa. - July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some evacuations have been ordered after a gas main was struck on Thursday morning in Lehigh County.
The incident was reported around 10:30 a.m. at a home in the Legacy Oaks development at Donegal Drive and Lifford Lane.
Authorities say an 88-year-old man lost control of his vehicle and hit the gas main and some garage doors.
The driver allegedly told his daughter afterward that his foot got caught on or under the accelerator, causing him to lose control of the vehicle.
The incident was initially reported as an explosion, but authorities now say that was not the case.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed damaged to two garages. Inspectors could also be seen checking the gas mains.
There was no immediate word on how many homes were evacuated.
Legacy Oaks is a 55+ adult community.
pennsylvania, lehigh county, local/state
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 7 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Body found in Logan tire fire 30 min ago
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction 52 min ago
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
13 min ago
- Body found in Logan tire fire
30 min ago