Evacuations after gas main struck in Lehigh Co.
LOWER MACUNGIE, Pa. - July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some evacuations have been ordered after a gas main was struck on Thursday morning in Lehigh County.
The incident was reported around 10:30 a.m. at a home in the Legacy Oaks development at Donegal Drive and Lifford Lane.
Authorities say an 88-year-old man lost control of his vehicle and hit the gas main and some garage doors.
The driver allegedly told his daughter afterward that his foot got caught on or under the accelerator, causing him to lose control of the vehicle.
The incident was initially reported as an explosion, but authorities now say that was not the case.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed damaged to two garages. Inspectors could also be seen checking the gas mains.
There was no immediate word on how many homes were evacuated.
Legacy Oaks is a 55+ adult community.
pennsylvania, lehigh county, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 11 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 29 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 12 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 49 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 15 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
15 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos