Mother arrested after dead child found
DOVER, Del. - July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Delaware woman has been arrested after, police say, a small boy was found dead in a storage area near her home.
Karen N. Hooks, 33, of Squire Circle in Dover, has been charged with abusing a corpse after the body was found on Wednesday.
However, she has not been charged in connection with the death at this time.
Delaware State Police say the investigation began as a missing child complaint back on July 9th.
Detectives said the tipster was concerned because Hooks, the mother of a 2-year-old, had been due to give birth in June to another baby, but that baby was nowhere to be found.
Police say they contacted Hooks on July 13th who told them her two-year-old son, Justice, was in the care of a female friend. She also allegedly denied ever being pregnant.
Detectives say they were unable to verify the story of Justice's whereabouts and obtained a search warrant for the home on Squire Circle, which was served on Wednesday.
Police say, during the search, they found a "suspiciously wrapped package" in a storage area shared by Hooks and a roommate.
The contents were taken to the Medical Examiner's Office and were determined to be that of a boy who was at least one year old.
The ME said the manner of death is "homicide by blunt force trauma to the head."
Police say the body is presumed to be that of Justice Hooks. However, official confirmation is still pending.
Police also say they have not been able to confirm that Hooks was ever pregnant.
Hooks was arrested and was ordered to be held on $1,000 cash bail.
Homicide Detectives and the Medical Examiner's Office are continuing their investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of the child and additional charges are possible.
delaware, dover, body found, child death, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 29 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 13 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 54 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 38 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 54 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 27 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 1 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
27 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos