Pickpockets target Radnor Township restaurant
RADNOR TWP., Pa. - July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A pickpocketing duo is targeting people eating out in Radnor Township restaurants.
The Nova Grill on Lancaster Avenue is one place the thieves managed to steal credit cards from customers.
Radnor Township police are warning customers as they search for these suspects, concerned that more people could be targeted.
Police released surveillance video of the two suspects as they casually walked into Nova Mediterranean Grill on Lancaster Avenue last week.
Police say the sneaky suspects purposely chose to eat at a table where they could inch closer to unsuspecting victims and casually steal from a purse which hung on the back of a chair.
"You see activity of them removing credit cards and then returning the wallet to the respective bags," described Lt. Christopher Flanagan.
Police say the man on the right wearing a hat delivered hand signals to his buddy across the table so the thief knew when it was clear to strike. To police, these men were pickpocket professionals.
"It is because of practice that they're unfortunately very good at stealing credit cards," Lt. Flanagan said.
Police say it is the second time thieves have targeted this Radnor restaurant since May.
The cases seem identical so police believe the suspects are likely the same.
"When it happened the first time, I thought maybe they were passing by and then it happened a second time, and I thought what nerve," said Nova owner Costas Xinos.
The upset owner says he wants people to feel safe in his restaurant.
Customer Kristen Nothnagle knows theft can happen anywhere, so she takes precautions.
"At least if it's on the table, I can always see it so I always kept it on the table," she said.
"Actually I'm more careful when I'm in the city, but here I'm not," said Jeanette Madaya.
Police are warning people not to let their guards down.
"Make sure if you have zippers or snaps for your bag that you secure it properly," said Lt. Flanagan.
Radnor Township Police are asking anyone who can help them identify the suspects in the video to give them a call at 610-688-0503.
theft, pennsylvania, montgomery county, local/state, jennifer joyce
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 40 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 24 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 44 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 44 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 44 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
40 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
44 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
44 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
30 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos