Senior couples renew wedding vows in Vineland
VINELAND, N.J. -July 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Love was in the air at the Veterans Memorial Home in Vineland, New Jersey where 16 senior couples renewed their wedding vows Thursday.
It is a heart-warming story of long-time love, 8 wives and 8 husbands, all of them deciding that after decades together they would do it all over again.
"I met my wife when she was 18 years old," said Peter Murphy.
They all say they married the love of their lives, and all were determined to renew that loving dedication Thursday morning.
Peter Murphy was a sailor when he and a buddy stopped by the Queens Roller Rink in Vineland.
"He says to me, 'Murph, look at the one in the red skirt.' I said, 'Leo, don't bother me, I'm looking,'" Murphy said.
That was 70 years ago, and as Ruth Murphy was getting make-up for Thursday's ceremony, she told Action News it has been a great life.
Ann Thurlow agrees. It is the second marriage for both her and Marty; they've been together for 33 years.
"I think it is a gift; a gift that we give each other," Ann said. "He takes good care of me. I try to take very good care of him."
The New Jersey Veterans Memorial Home at Vineland is a long-term care home for 300 Vets and their spouses.
Volunteers with a program called Dream Discovery...interviewed the seniors here...and quickly discovered that these 16 love birds were eager to re-dedicate themselves to one another.
Even though, at age 14, Joan Baker met Norman on a blind date, it wasn't love at first sight.
"I detested him and he detested me," said Joan. "But we grew on one another."
Caesars Entertainment's Hero program helped make the event extra special.
The brides and grooms didn't hesitate to say "I do."
All would agree that longevity is what it's all about.
weddings, vineland, new jersey, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 24 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 5 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 7 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos