Philadelphia priest charged with 1997 sex assault
PHILADELPHIA - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Northeast Philadelphia priest suspended last year has been charged with sexually assaulting a 10-year-old boy.
In the 1990's Father Andrew McCormick, was Pastor at St John Cantius Parish in Bridesburg. He was popular even taking children on trips to Poland.
However Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams says McCormick sexually assaulted a 10-year-old he recruited as an altar boy in 1997.
"He started having him come serve mass and have sodas and cookies after serving mass which then led to a trip upstairs in the rectory," said Williams.
The altar boy who is now a young man, contacted police last December.
When asked why the allegedly victim waited so long, authorities suggested that memories were dredged up by coverage of the Philadelphia Catholic church's sex abuse scandal and the Jerry Sandusky case at Penn State.
"It brings it all out again. It certainly brings the nightmare and horror of all this back to the individual and the family. It also prompts them to come forward," said Captain John Darby.
Father McCormick is being represented by William Brennan - the same lawyer representing Father James Brennan, who is facing retrial for molesting a young boy in 1996.
"This is a case involving a lone accuser from the 1990s so we are anxious to see what, if any, evidence the DA has to support this allegation," said Attorney Brennan.
On Friday, the District Attorney's office commended McCormick's accuser for coming forward to police.
"Originally this victim's family, when he came forward to them personally, their initial thought was to go the church but another family member said 'No we are going to police," said Williams.
McCormick is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on August 17, 2012.
philadelphia, bridesburg, montgomery county, sex offenders, local/state
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 13 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
48 min ago