SPCA: Logan man caught torturing kittens
LOGAN - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania SPCA says a Philadelphia man is facing animal cruelty charges for torturing four kittens in a back alley.
25-year-old Yu Zhen Chen from Logan was arrested earlier this week.
Philadelphia officers were reviewing surveillance tapes in a separate investigation when they found footage of the suspect allegedly abusing the animals.
After seeing the footage, the SPCA was alerted.
"The images caught on the tape were extremely disturbing. He was swinging the cats by their tails and throwing them around and other acts of cruelty," said George Bengal, head of the Pennsylvania SPCA's Humane Law Enforcement.
Officials were able to retrieve two of the kittens seen on tape. The animals are being cared for at SPCA headquarters.
Additional charges for Chen are pending following further investigation.
philadelphia, logan, animal abuse, animals, local/state
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 36 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 53 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila.
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 42 min ago
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones 32 min ago
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked...
36 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
42 min ago