Crews end search for Pa. man missing off NJ
NORTH WILDWOOD, N.J. (AP) - July 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 52-year-old Pennsylvania man who vanished of the coast of southern New Jersey.
North Wildwood officials say Brad Smith of Horsham and another man were walking with their daughters in knee-deep water in the Hereford Inlet late Friday afternoon when they apparently fell into a drop in the sand.
The four were soon pulled out by the undertow, though the other man and his daughter were able to get back to shore.
Smith's 7-year-old daughter was soon rescued by a man on a personal watercraft who happened to be in the area, but Smith could not be found.
Officials say the current was especially rough around 7:00 p.m. and a number of swimmers had to be rescued.
Coast Guard crews conducted helicopter and boat searches on Friday night and again on Saturday, but suspended their search around 3:00pm Saturday.
water rescue, drowning, wildwood, jersey shore, new jersey, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos