Crews end search for Pa. man missing off NJ
NORTH WILDWOOD, N.J. (AP) - July 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 52-year-old Pennsylvania man who vanished of the coast of southern New Jersey.
North Wildwood officials say Brad Smith of Horsham and another man were walking with their daughters in knee-deep water in the Hereford Inlet late Friday afternoon when they apparently fell into a drop in the sand.
The four were soon pulled out by the undertow, though the other man and his daughter were able to get back to shore.
Smith's 7-year-old daughter was soon rescued by a man on a personal watercraft who happened to be in the area, but Smith could not be found.
Officials say the current was especially rough around 7:00 p.m. and a number of swimmers had to be rescued.
Coast Guard crews conducted helicopter and boat searches on Friday night and again on Saturday, but suspended their search around 3:00pm Saturday.
water rescue, drowning, wildwood, jersey shore, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 2 min ago
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 4 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 25 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co. 36 min ago
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering