Police: Homeowner kidnaps home invasion suspect
NEW CASTLE, Del. - July 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a homeowner assaulted and kidnapped a suspect after a failed home invasion attempt in New Castle, Delaware.
25-year-old Darrell Robinson and 36-year-old Trimell Heyward both face a number of charges.
The incident happened around 3:14 Wednesday morning at Heyward's residence on the unit block of Deville Court.
Arriving officers found Robinson lying on the kitchen floor, partially nude and his ankles bound with a phone cord. There was a pot of boiling water on the stove that was allegedly intended to be thrown on him.
An investigation later revealed that Heyward, a known drug dealer, reportedly conducted drug transactions from his residence.
Robinson arrived at Heyward's apartment allegedly under the premise that he was going to buy drugs. Police say as Heyward opened the door, Robinson forced his way in, armed with a handgun.
Moments later a struggle ensued. Heyward was unable to get the handgun, so instead he allegedly grabbed a machete and struck Robinson in the hand.
Afterwards, police say Heyward pulled Robinson's pants down and told a family member to bind his ankles "to teach him a lesson."
Police arrived on the scene and Heyward was taken into custody without incident.
Robinson received non-life threatening injuries and was taken to Christiana Hospital where he was treated and released.
Authorities discovered a number of illegal drugs in Heyward's apartment during their investigation. He faces a list of drug possession charges as well as kidnapping and assault.
Robinson also faces a list of charges including robbery, burglary and home invasion.
Both suspects are being held at the Howard Young Correctional Institute.
delaware, new castle county, home invasion, kidnapping, drugs, local/state
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 42 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela 26 min ago
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
48 min ago