Tires slashed on 8 cars in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a scene that's become all too familiar - residents in one South Philadelphia neighborhood woke up to find their car tires slashed.
This latest incident has one South Philadelphia block fired up.
Anna Hamersky of the 1900 block of South Hicks Street says her husband discovered the damage just before 6:30am Sunday morning.
"We called the police and they came and checked the cars. It's horrible," Anna said.
It's unfortunate dejavu for tire slashing victim Joseph Kelly.
"About a month and a half ago someone slashed all four of my tires and keyed my car from top to bottom. I just got it back, and it cost over $4,000 to get repaired," said Joseph Kelly.
After his car was vandalized the last time, Joseph Kelly invested in security cameras which he is hoping will help catch the suspects.
"Turn yourself in now and we'll go light on you--maybe restitution or something. If it goes on and they have to track you down, we will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law," Kelly said.
"I've lived up here for quite a while, and this is a really quiet neighborhood," said Joe Testa.
People are hoping the copycat criminal calls it quits soon. Calling AAA and paying for new tires is a frustrating expense for the neighborhood.
"It's not fair for everybody," said Carmen Martinez. They work hard for their cars; they need to get back and forth for work. We're going to catch the person who did this."
philadelphia, south philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 24 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos