Tires slashed on 8 cars in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a scene that's become all too familiar - residents in one South Philadelphia neighborhood woke up to find their car tires slashed.
This latest incident has one South Philadelphia block fired up.
Anna Hamersky of the 1900 block of South Hicks Street says her husband discovered the damage just before 6:30am Sunday morning.
"We called the police and they came and checked the cars. It's horrible," Anna said.
It's unfortunate dejavu for tire slashing victim Joseph Kelly.
"About a month and a half ago someone slashed all four of my tires and keyed my car from top to bottom. I just got it back, and it cost over $4,000 to get repaired," said Joseph Kelly.
After his car was vandalized the last time, Joseph Kelly invested in security cameras which he is hoping will help catch the suspects.
"Turn yourself in now and we'll go light on you--maybe restitution or something. If it goes on and they have to track you down, we will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law," Kelly said.
"I've lived up here for quite a while, and this is a really quiet neighborhood," said Joe Testa.
People are hoping the copycat criminal calls it quits soon. Calling AAA and paying for new tires is a frustrating expense for the neighborhood.
"It's not fair for everybody," said Carmen Martinez. They work hard for their cars; they need to get back and forth for work. We're going to catch the person who did this."
philadelphia, south philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 4 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 1 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 6 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 8 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall 32 min ago
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier