Tires slashed on 8 cars in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a scene that's become all too familiar - residents in one South Philadelphia neighborhood woke up to find their car tires slashed.
This latest incident has one South Philadelphia block fired up.
Anna Hamersky of the 1900 block of South Hicks Street says her husband discovered the damage just before 6:30am Sunday morning.
"We called the police and they came and checked the cars. It's horrible," Anna said.
It's unfortunate dejavu for tire slashing victim Joseph Kelly.
"About a month and a half ago someone slashed all four of my tires and keyed my car from top to bottom. I just got it back, and it cost over $4,000 to get repaired," said Joseph Kelly.
After his car was vandalized the last time, Joseph Kelly invested in security cameras which he is hoping will help catch the suspects.
"Turn yourself in now and we'll go light on you--maybe restitution or something. If it goes on and they have to track you down, we will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law," Kelly said.
"I've lived up here for quite a while, and this is a really quiet neighborhood," said Joe Testa.
People are hoping the copycat criminal calls it quits soon. Calling AAA and paying for new tires is a frustrating expense for the neighborhood.
"It's not fair for everybody," said Carmen Martinez. They work hard for their cars; they need to get back and forth for work. We're going to catch the person who did this."
philadelphia, south philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Skippack
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 34 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 1 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- 1 person burned in fast-moving house fire
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township 38 min ago
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing 39 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 13 min ago
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos