NJ girl grabs wheel when grandfather dies
BURLINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- As the pickup truck she was riding in careened down the road at 80 mph, 12-year-old Miranda Bowman knew one thing: She had to stop it.
"He said Miranda just keep talking to me...just keep talking to me."
Miranda Bowman thought those words were strange. She and her grandfather, Paul Parker, had just left New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville. The 63 year old said he wasn't feeling well.
"About 30 seconds later I heard his head tap on the window and that's when I knew," said Miranda.
Parker died of a massive heart attack. His foot was on the accelerator.
The car was approaching speeds up to 80 mph on Buckshutem Road.
"I panicked and I started screaming. I unlocked my seat belt," said Miranda.
Miranda tried to push the brake. The car slowed a bit, but continued to motor down the road, crossing over into the opposite lanes.
Miranda added, "I just saw woods, so I avoided the telephone pole right next to me. We went though someone's lawn, then over a little tree and then I took out three other trees and a stump.
Stephanie Bowman, Miranda's mother said, "I cant imagine what she saw, watching her grandfather pass in front of her, let alone the reactions she had. I'm so lucky nothing else happened."
The airbags deployed and Miranda was able to walk away with only some bumps and bruises. Her quick thinking to slow the car likely saved her life.
Her grandfather though is dead and it's been a bittersweet week for Miranda's mother, Stephanie. She's had conflicting emotions since Tuesday's accident.
"I'm probably not experiencing the loss as much as everyone else because I'm too grateful and blessed to have my baby girl," added Stepanie.
new jersey, burlington county, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police