NJ girl grabs wheel when grandfather dies
BURLINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- As the pickup truck she was riding in careened down the road at 80 mph, 12-year-old Miranda Bowman knew one thing: She had to stop it.
"He said Miranda just keep talking to me...just keep talking to me."
Miranda Bowman thought those words were strange. She and her grandfather, Paul Parker, had just left New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville. The 63 year old said he wasn't feeling well.
"About 30 seconds later I heard his head tap on the window and that's when I knew," said Miranda.
Parker died of a massive heart attack. His foot was on the accelerator.
The car was approaching speeds up to 80 mph on Buckshutem Road.
"I panicked and I started screaming. I unlocked my seat belt," said Miranda.
Miranda tried to push the brake. The car slowed a bit, but continued to motor down the road, crossing over into the opposite lanes.
Miranda added, "I just saw woods, so I avoided the telephone pole right next to me. We went though someone's lawn, then over a little tree and then I took out three other trees and a stump.
Stephanie Bowman, Miranda's mother said, "I cant imagine what she saw, watching her grandfather pass in front of her, let alone the reactions she had. I'm so lucky nothing else happened."
The airbags deployed and Miranda was able to walk away with only some bumps and bruises. Her quick thinking to slow the car likely saved her life.
Her grandfather though is dead and it's been a bittersweet week for Miranda's mother, Stephanie. She's had conflicting emotions since Tuesday's accident.
"I'm probably not experiencing the loss as much as everyone else because I'm too grateful and blessed to have my baby girl," added Stepanie.
new jersey, burlington county, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 7 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 40 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 51 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 30 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
32 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
30 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
27 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
22 min ago