Police: 3 boys damaged 15 schools buses
NEW CASTLE, Del. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Three boys are being accused of damaging 15 schools buses in New Castle, Delaware.
The boys, an 11-year-old, a 12-year-old and a 13-year-old face a number of charges including a theft of a motor vehicle.
Police were called at 6:20 p.m. Sunday after a resident reported that someone was driving and crashing the school buses into one another.
Police responded to see three boys flee on foot toward the Holloway Terrace development.
Area residents gave troopers a description of the suspects, who were located in the area of Simonds Gardens. The boys were taken into custody without incident.
Police say the boys entered the secured lot and appeared to have driven eight buses through the lot, causing substantial damage to those buses, seven parked buses, fences, gates and a portable toilet.
That damage estimate totals more than $22,500, police said.
The boys were charged and released pending family court hearings.
Shawn McGlinchey, Director of Risk Management for Advanced Student Transport, says it's too early to tell how the vandalism will impact operations.
He says the bus yard is a locked facility so he cannot be certain of how the juveniles got in.
A state police spokesperson, however, says the keys were left in the bus ignitions.
delaware, new castle county, vandalism, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 28 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, traps parents in room 14 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
28 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
14 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos