Police: 3 boys damaged 15 schools buses
NEW CASTLE, Del. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Three boys are being accused of damaging 15 schools buses in New Castle, Delaware.
The boys, an 11-year-old, a 12-year-old and a 13-year-old face a number of charges including a theft of a motor vehicle.
Police were called at 6:20 p.m. Sunday after a resident reported that someone was driving and crashing the school buses into one another.
Police responded to see three boys flee on foot toward the Holloway Terrace development.
Area residents gave troopers a description of the suspects, who were located in the area of Simonds Gardens. The boys were taken into custody without incident.
Police say the boys entered the secured lot and appeared to have driven eight buses through the lot, causing substantial damage to those buses, seven parked buses, fences, gates and a portable toilet.
That damage estimate totals more than $22,500, police said.
The boys were charged and released pending family court hearings.
Shawn McGlinchey, Director of Risk Management for Advanced Student Transport, says it's too early to tell how the vandalism will impact operations.
He says the bus yard is a locked facility so he cannot be certain of how the juveniles got in.
A state police spokesperson, however, says the keys were left in the bus ignitions.
delaware, new castle county, vandalism, local/state
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Mile-wide tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs 5 min ago
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash 4 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 26 min ago
- Nurse viciously attacked outside Cooper Hospital 10 min ago
- Housekeeper sentenced for Ben Franklin bust theft 29 min ago
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp. 30 min ago
- Publicist: Founding member of The Doors dies at 74 26 min ago
- Diet Detours: Healthy grilling 6 min ago
- Mile-wide tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs
5 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
26 min ago
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
30 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos