Officials tour site of South Phila. water main break
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia city officials toured the site of last week's massive water main break in South Philadelphia on Monday.
Councilman Kenyatta Johnson and Water Commissioner Howard Neukrug were in the area of 21st and Bainbridge, where the roads are still ripped up.
"First and foremost we want to get a timeframe on when this is going to be fixed and, two, how can we prevent this, in the future, from happening?" Johnson said.
A four foot main erupted last Sunday, which also took out power and gas.
In the Milner houshold, they've ripped out carpet and drywall on the first floor and the ruined contents of their basement have been cleared. The city has replaced their water heater and furnance, but the family worries about reimubursement for the rest.
"We're worried we're not going ot get paid," said Kim Milner. "Right now we're putting things on our credit card and then billing the water department."
While Neukrug confirms there is a $500,000 damage cap they can pay out per incident, he says he doesn't believe they will exceed that amount when all the damage is tallied up.
Neukrug explains they don't wait for pipes to burst. They have an inspection processes in place, including a leak detection program, surveying the entire system over a three year period.
"As infrastructure gets older it does not get stronger. We have to continually renew, replace, manage, maintain," Neukrug said.
This comes after an 8-inch water main broke, this time at Willits Road near Ashton in Northeast Philadelphia. At least two homes and two businesses were damaged.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, water main break, graduate hospital, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 48 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 34 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc