Sinkhole growing problem in Allentown
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A big sinkhole has made life uncertain for residents in Allentown.
Monday marked a third day of anxiety for residents who'd been forced out of their homes in the 800 block of North 5th Street in Allentown on Saturday.
That's when a sinkhole opened up under the foundation of a vacant home in the middle of the block endangering seven other houses in the row.
Resident Jose Guzman knew something was wrong when he couldn't open his front door and then began noticing cracks in his walls inside.
"My second floor got a big crack from the ceiling to the wall; it's nasty, just scary," Guzman said.
Other neighbors noticed similar problems and then they heard the sound of running water, which seemed to be coming from the basement of the vacant house.
What's not clear is whether a broken pipe undermined the foundation, or whether the foundation cracked and caused a water pipe to break.
This morning, a structural engineer went door to door in the evacuated properties examining the visible damage, but the full extent of what happened underground won't be known until engineers can thread a camera through the sinkhole and examine the video.
And until that's determined, engineers can't determine whether a fix is possible and residents can't get back inside their homes.
On top of that, a number of homeowners have called their insurance agencies and found out without a special policy, sinkholes aren't covered on their homeowner's insurance.
pennsylvania, allentown, sinkhole, local/state, amy buckman
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Delco 2nd grade teacher charged with assault 9 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 34 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 45 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 42 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 41 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 58 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 32 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
58 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
34 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
45 min ago