Trenton mayor responds to investigation on first day back
TRENTON - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Trenton Mayor Tony Mack looked relaxed and untroubled on his first day back from vacation, the first day back since a small army of FBI agents descended on his home and his administrations' City Hall offices more than a week ago.
Mack was taking part today in a ribbon cutting to mark the opening of a learning center.
It's been reported the FBI is looking for evidence of bribery, fraud and extortion.
Mack was asked directly whether he is aware of anything like that in his government.
"Again, we can't go into the investigation aspect of it, but I can assure you, we're providing them every explanation of detail that they need," Mack said.
When asked if he was worried he or someone close to him could be charged, his answer was somewhat cryptic
"The reality of the situation is if people are making mistakes and someone has information about it, we need to know," Mack said.
The 46-year-old mayor declined to say if he has hired legal counsel.
One time Mack ally Councilman George Muschal became disillusioned after hearing troubling stories about some of the mayor's staff and advisors.
"They are basically criminals and when you deal with criminals, they are going to lead you in a wrong direction," Muschal said.
The councilman's concern is that wrong direction is showing up in day to day operations.
"Right now we're short workers, workers are just calling off, we're short personnel all over and the city is not functioning itself," Muschal said.
new jersey, trenton, local/state, john rawlins
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 56 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 23 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 26 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball