Video released of fatal Bucks Co. hit-and-run
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance video of a fatal hit-and-run in Bucks County in the hopes of finding the person behind the wheel.
The hit-and-run accident happened just after midnight on July 22nd at New Falls Road near Lower Orchard Drive. It was captured by surveillance cameras outside the Penn Jersey auto repair shop.
The victim was 23-year-old John Rearick.
"I miss my son. He didn't deserve to be hit and just left there. I just want help, I want everybody to help us find who did this," John's mother, Sharon, said.
Police say Rearick had left McStew's Irish Sports Bar where he had been out with friends.
Authorities say Rearick was walking to his home in Croydon westbound on New Falls Road.
At approximately 12:21 a.m., a car came up westbound in the left lane and struck Rearick.
"The car then stops in the left lane behind Mr. Rearick's body, goes around him in the right lane. Once again he stops like he's going to stop, and then he proceeds to go into the Plumbridge section," Lt. Ken Mellus of the Middletown Police Department said.
Rearick suffered serious head injuries and later died at St. Mary Medical Center.
Police believe the car was a newer model GM sedan, possibly a red Cadillac.
"It has to have some front end damage because of the pieces that were left on the ground and the nature of the impact," Mellus said.
Police say they followed a fluid trail through the Plumbridge section and back out to Rt. 413.
The victim's family says John Rearick was the kind of guy who would give the shirt off his back to help someone.
"He was a handyman. He absolutely was and he liked to go fishing," Sharon said.
The family is hoping someone may recognize the car or have information on its whereabouts.
"Please just call Middletown police, just call, it's not like he ran over a dog or a cat, it was a person," Sharon said.
Police are asking anyone who may have information to contact Officer Michael Stum at 215-750-3845 x482.
pennsylvania, bucks county, hit and run, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say 38 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital 18 min ago
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally