Video released of fatal Bucks Co. hit-and-run
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance video of a fatal hit-and-run in Bucks County in the hopes of finding the person behind the wheel.
The hit-and-run accident happened just after midnight on July 22nd at New Falls Road near Lower Orchard Drive. It was captured by surveillance cameras outside the Penn Jersey auto repair shop.
The victim was 23-year-old John Rearick.
"I miss my son. He didn't deserve to be hit and just left there. I just want help, I want everybody to help us find who did this," John's mother, Sharon, said.
Police say Rearick had left McStew's Irish Sports Bar where he had been out with friends.
Authorities say Rearick was walking to his home in Croydon westbound on New Falls Road.
At approximately 12:21 a.m., a car came up westbound in the left lane and struck Rearick.
"The car then stops in the left lane behind Mr. Rearick's body, goes around him in the right lane. Once again he stops like he's going to stop, and then he proceeds to go into the Plumbridge section," Lt. Ken Mellus of the Middletown Police Department said.
Rearick suffered serious head injuries and later died at St. Mary Medical Center.
Police believe the car was a newer model GM sedan, possibly a red Cadillac.
"It has to have some front end damage because of the pieces that were left on the ground and the nature of the impact," Mellus said.
Police say they followed a fluid trail through the Plumbridge section and back out to Rt. 413.
The victim's family says John Rearick was the kind of guy who would give the shirt off his back to help someone.
"He was a handyman. He absolutely was and he liked to go fishing," Sharon said.
The family is hoping someone may recognize the car or have information on its whereabouts.
"Please just call Middletown police, just call, it's not like he ran over a dog or a cat, it was a person," Sharon said.
Police are asking anyone who may have information to contact Officer Michael Stum at 215-750-3845 x482.
pennsylvania, bucks county, hit and run, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 58 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 21 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 7 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 14 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 22 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
58 min ago