Arrest made in SW Phila. community leader stabbing
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - August 2, 2102 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested the man who they say left a Southwest Philadelphia community leader seriously injured.
Jimmy Morrison, 41, is now facing charges for his alleged involvement in the stabbing of an 87-year-old woman at her home on the 5600 block of Catharine Street earlier this week.The victims have been identified as 62-year-old Jimmy Brinkley and 87-year-old Yvonne Gaines, a Democratic committeewoman and a highly-regarded community leader in Southwest Philadelphia.
"She was clearly the mayor of this block. She was very, very instrumental in being the block captain and she is the community leader for this block," said neighbor William Squires.
Police say it was 3:10 a.m. on Tuesday when Brinkley answered the door to Morrison, a former neighbor, who said he had to use the bathroom.
After Morrison was in the home, police said, there was a confrontation between Brinkley and Morrison and Brinkley was stabbed multiple times.
Then, police said, Morrison went upstairs and began to rummage through jewelry boxes. Gaines woke up and confronted Morrison, police said, and she was stabbed as well.
Both victims were transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Gaines suffered severe cuts, a puncture wound to the torso and a possible punctured lung.
A $5,000 dollar reward was announced by State Senator Anthony Williams and Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell for the arrest of Jimmy Morrison. There is no word on if anyone claimed the reward with Morrison's capture.
"She was beloved by everyone. They care about one another, they take care of one another, and that's all the more reason why this is so sad and shocking," said Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell.
Morrison has not yet been arraigned.
Burglary and assault charges are pending.
So far, police have not said what the motive was for the stabbing. They are continuing to investigate the incident.
southwest philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 31 min ago
- Record Warmth! 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 38 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
38 min ago
- Record Warmth!
26 min ago