Pennsylvania Lottery posts record sales in 2011-12
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. - July 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania Lottery has posted a record year, spurred on by scratch-offs and record jackpots in big-ticket drawings like Powerball and Mega Millions.
Lottery officials say ticket sales rose $273 million in the 2011-12 fiscal year to $3.48 billion, an 8.5 percent increase over the previous year.
Revenue to the fund used to benefit senior citizen programs was $1.06 billion, more than 10 percent better than last year and 8.7 percent more than the previous record set in 2005-06.
Officials said Monday Powerball and Mega Millions combined for $88.5 million more in sales over the previous year, while scratch-offs rose 11 percent to $212.5 million.
pennsylvania, lottery, local/state
- 37 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash 4 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Conn. commuter rail service to resume Wednesday
- Nurse viciously attacked outside Cooper Hospital
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Publicist: Founding member of The Doors dies at 74
- Diet Detours: Healthy grilling
- 37 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
1 min ago