$110 million expansion for St. Christopher's
HUNTING PARK - July 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tenet Healthcare announced a $110 million expansion for Saint Christopher's Hospital for Children on Tuesday.
Administrators say this will not only improve patient care, but add more than 300 clinical and non-clinical jobs.
"We're making an investment in the health of the community, we're making an investment into physical facilities, local economy," said Trevor Fetter of Tenet Healthcare.
A four story, 135,000 square foot Critical Care Tower will be built on the land next to the main hospital. 50 new critical care beds and 60 beds equipped for the highest level of neonatal intensive care will meet a growing need.
"Last week had our critical care unit completely full. We've had issues, especially during the winter months, where our medical/surgical units are full because of lots of asthma kids and children with the flu," said Saint Christopher's CEO Carolyn Jackson.
The expansion's other main component is The Center for the Urban Child, a 30,000 square foot medical office building. Here, children will see primary care doctors, but also have more available resources on site to address hunger, domestic violence, and other issues doctors see in the surrounding area.
The hospital already offers some of these services, but this will bring them all under one roof.
"We want to do a full assessment on child while they're in there and really address those social needs while they're still there. Sometimes they come in for one appointment and if we refer them to a different service, they may not actually go to that appointment," Jackson said.
"I think this now becomes a model not just for the city, but for the nation," said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.
The Center for the Urban Child is set to be complete by the end of next year, and the new critical care tower by mid-2015.
philadelphia, hunting park, hospitals, health care, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 31 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 33 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 37 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 39 min ago
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield 14 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 35 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
31 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
33 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for...
37 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
5 min ago