$110 million expansion for St. Christopher's
HUNTING PARK - July 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tenet Healthcare announced a $110 million expansion for Saint Christopher's Hospital for Children on Tuesday.
Administrators say this will not only improve patient care, but add more than 300 clinical and non-clinical jobs.
"We're making an investment in the health of the community, we're making an investment into physical facilities, local economy," said Trevor Fetter of Tenet Healthcare.
A four story, 135,000 square foot Critical Care Tower will be built on the land next to the main hospital. 50 new critical care beds and 60 beds equipped for the highest level of neonatal intensive care will meet a growing need.
"Last week had our critical care unit completely full. We've had issues, especially during the winter months, where our medical/surgical units are full because of lots of asthma kids and children with the flu," said Saint Christopher's CEO Carolyn Jackson.
The expansion's other main component is The Center for the Urban Child, a 30,000 square foot medical office building. Here, children will see primary care doctors, but also have more available resources on site to address hunger, domestic violence, and other issues doctors see in the surrounding area.
The hospital already offers some of these services, but this will bring them all under one roof.
"We want to do a full assessment on child while they're in there and really address those social needs while they're still there. Sometimes they come in for one appointment and if we refer them to a different service, they may not actually go to that appointment," Jackson said.
"I think this now becomes a model not just for the city, but for the nation," said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.
The Center for the Urban Child is set to be complete by the end of next year, and the new critical care tower by mid-2015.
philadelphia, hunting park, hospitals, health care, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 7 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ