$110 million expansion for St. Christopher's
HUNTING PARK - July 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tenet Healthcare announced a $110 million expansion for Saint Christopher's Hospital for Children on Tuesday.
Administrators say this will not only improve patient care, but add more than 300 clinical and non-clinical jobs.
"We're making an investment in the health of the community, we're making an investment into physical facilities, local economy," said Trevor Fetter of Tenet Healthcare.
A four story, 135,000 square foot Critical Care Tower will be built on the land next to the main hospital. 50 new critical care beds and 60 beds equipped for the highest level of neonatal intensive care will meet a growing need.
"Last week had our critical care unit completely full. We've had issues, especially during the winter months, where our medical/surgical units are full because of lots of asthma kids and children with the flu," said Saint Christopher's CEO Carolyn Jackson.
The expansion's other main component is The Center for the Urban Child, a 30,000 square foot medical office building. Here, children will see primary care doctors, but also have more available resources on site to address hunger, domestic violence, and other issues doctors see in the surrounding area.
The hospital already offers some of these services, but this will bring them all under one roof.
"We want to do a full assessment on child while they're in there and really address those social needs while they're still there. Sometimes they come in for one appointment and if we refer them to a different service, they may not actually go to that appointment," Jackson said.
"I think this now becomes a model not just for the city, but for the nation," said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.
The Center for the Urban Child is set to be complete by the end of next year, and the new critical care tower by mid-2015.
philadelphia, hunting park, hospitals, health care, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine 3 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 39 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
57 min ago