Philly cop facing obstruction of justice charges
PHILADELPHIA - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia police officer is facing federal charges for allegedly interfering with a drug investigation.
51-year-old Rafael Cordero of Philadelphia, a 23-year veteran of the police department, is charged with passing along sensitive information about a drug investigation to his half brother, David Garcia, who is an alleged member of the Christian Serrano/Edwin Medina Drug Trafficking Organizations.
According to the indictment, Cordero tipped Garcia off to a surveillance camera installed by the DEA to monitor drug related activities at a garage, located at 538 East Indiana Street in Philadelphia.
The indictment goes on to claim that when the FBI and DEA executed search warrants at several locations, including the garage, Cordero showed up at the locations without having any official reason to be there - allegedly informed of the raids by his half brother. Authorities found him looking in the windows of the garage, and when asked what he was doing Cordero allegedly lied about his reasons for being there, and even offered to assist in the search.
Cordero is accused of then calling Garcia immediately after leaving the garage to share with him details about the search. In a subsequent phone call Cordero allegedly told Garcia, "When you get home take my picture down."
In addition, the indictment alleges that between January and July of 2011, David Garcia was permitted to store money at Cordero's home, which Cordero apparently knew were the proceeds of illegal drug sales. After DEA agents arrested David Garcia on July 27, 2011, Cordero allegedly had his brother, E.C., take the money, thereby obstructing justice.
If convicted, Cordero faces a maximum possible sentence of 35 years in prison.
philadelphia, corruption, police, illegal drugs, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 45 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
44 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
45 min ago