Pittsburgh woman, 19, dies from being hit by tire
PITTSBURGH (AP) - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 19-year-old Pittsburgh woman has died after being hit by a tire that came off another vehicle and hit the car she was driving on Interstate 376.
Katie Puwalowski died Tuesday afternoon at UPMC Mercy hospital where she was taken after the accident Monday night on what's known locally as the Parkway West.
That's where police say a tire fell off another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction, bounced over a concrete barrier, and hit the roof of Puwalowski's car, which was traveling in the other direction.
State police are still investigating, but say her passenger was able to safely steer the car off the highway. Puwalowski's passenger was treated and released from a hospital, and the driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee which lost the tire wasn't hurt.
accident, pennsylvania, local/state
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?