Man pleads, gets life in murder of Pa. mother of 4
LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) -August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A central Pennsylvania man has been sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty in the shooting death of a mother of four last year.
The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era says 20-year-old Oscar Manuel Martinez entered the plea Wednesday in Lancaster County Court.
Defense attorney James Gratton said his client feared getting the death penalty in the April 2011 slaying of 33-year-old Diana Spencer and wanted to plead guilty and be sentenced immediately.
In court, Martinez said "All I can say is I did it and I confessed to it."
Police say the victim was shot through her home's front door after a group of men came looking for another man.
Prosecutors are also seeking the death penalty against two other men awaiting trial in the case.
homicide, pennsylvania, local/state
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 13 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list