Suspect sought in pair of Camden rapes
CAMDEN, N.J. - August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Camden, New Jersey are asking for the public's help in finding a man believed to be responsible for two rapes.
The victims, both women in their 20s, appeared to be working as prostitutes when they were raped, police said. Investigators are concerned that the man is targeting prostitutes in the city.
The most recent incident happened one week ago, July 26th. According to police, the victim said she was approached by a man at Broadway and Chelton avenues. That man pulled a knife and led her to a wooded area near 6th and Chelton where she was raped.
The previous incident happened around 5:00 a.m. on May 21st at Broadway and Chestnut. That victim also told police she was led by knifepoint to the wooded area near 6th and Jackson streets where she was raped.
Police say both women described their attacker as initially friendly and pleasant. He approached them soliciting sex and asking if they wanted to get high but, while walking with him, the man's demeanor changed and he drew a weapon, the victims told police.
Both victims told investigators their attacker he was a Hispanic man, standing between 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, with thinning hair slicked back on his head. One victim described him having a ponytail.
They both said he had a prominent, jutting chin and spoke broken English. They also both described the man as wearing multi-strand, multicolored bead necklaces.
One victim remembered he wore black Sketcher boots, had long pinky nails on both hands and was riding a blue and black mountain bike, police said.
Anyone who can identify the suspect is urged to contact the Camden Police Department Special Victims Unit at (856) 757-7421.
new jersey, camden, rape, local/state
- More Snow on the Way 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder 57 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
- More Snow on the Way
53 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
57 min ago