Power restored to Park Towne Apartments in Spring Garden
SPRING GARDEN - August 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Crews were finally able to restore power to residents living in the Park Towne Apartments in Spring Garden.
Residents at the apartment complex, located on the 2300 block of Ben Franklin Parkway, say they were without power for nearly 12 hours Friday in the sweltering heat.The power and water outages happened around 1:00 in the morning and affected 450 units.
Part Towne blamed the outage on equipment failure and officials say crews went to work to try to fix the problem.
There were immediate concerns for the elderly and disabled. The management says its emergency plan kicked in with employees knocking on their doors.
Cooling centers were set up in the unaffected towers and many residents told Action News during the heat of the day, they hit the pool.
For one woman who lives in the East Tower, she was quite relieved that the power came back on right before her friends from Pittsburgh came to town for the weekend.
"Well obviously it's been hot and uncomfortable. I had guests coming today so that was my concern - the food and drinks I got from them going bad," said Amy Donato.
Now she can keep those party plans.
Action News was able to deliver the good news about the lights and water being back to other residents who were walking home after a long day of work.
They were relieved and ready to crank up the air conditioning.
philadelphia, spring garden, power outage, local/state
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 20 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 36 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 38 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 34 min ago
- Pennsylvania Turnpike pileup exposed gaps, officials say 3 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures