Family of 4 hurt in Delaware lightning strike
PRICES CORNER, Del. - August 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Four family members were taken to the hospital after a lightning strike on Friday afternoon in northern Delaware.
It happened just before 4:00 p.m. at the Cranston Hall Apartments in the 3300 block of Old Capitol Trail in Prices Corner.
Neighbors looked out their windows to see the family of four injured when lightning struck the tree they were sitting under.
A 30-year-old man, his 28-year-old wife and their sons, ages 7 and 1, were huddled under an umbrella when the bolt hit.
"They were just chilling under the tree, soaking up the nice day like they always do, chit chatting, shooting the breeze," said witness Billie Webb.
There was no visible damage to the tree from the ground, but emergency officials say it appears the lightning struck the top of the tree and sent down the shockwave.
Neighbors say the storm moved in very quickly.
"It all happened in five minutes, you know. A little bit of rain and then 'bang bang.' I mean, it sounded like a machine gun, pow pow. That was it, that quick," said witness Ron O'Neal.
Residents believe if one of the family members had been holding on to the metal rod of the umbrella this scene would have been much worse.
As the father returned home late Friday night a cousin of the victims, Irene Hernandez, said everyone is relieved that it wasn't worse.
"Everybody is happy right now. They just received phone calls and they're happy the four of them are okay. Actually there are five because she's pregnant, so they're fine," said Hernandez.
A very similar incident happened earlier this week in Wildwood, New Jersey, when four family members - including a pregnant woman - were hurt after lightning struck as they huddled under an umbrella.
delaware, new castle county, lightning, severe weather, local/state
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 58 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 56 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier