Man shot during struggle with Drexel cop
UNIVERSITY CITY - August 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials at a Philadelphia university say a campus police officer shot and wounded a man who punched him in the face and grabbed for his service weapon.
Drexel officials and Philadelphia police say a university employee reported at about 6 p.m. Friday that she had been harassed by a stranger as she walked to her car.
Officials said the officer was escorting the woman to her car when the suspect approached, punched him and grabbed for his gun.
They said he got control of the weapon and fired twice, hitting the man in his leg and arm.
The Philadelphia Inquirer said the man, who gave officials a false name, was in stable condition at a hospital.
The office was treated for a cut to his face.
Philadelphia police are investigating.
philadelphia, university city, shooting, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 1 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
28 min ago