Woman, 66, beaten, robbed after using ATM
PHILADELPHIA - August 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 66-year-old woman is recovering after she was beaten and robbed after using an ATM in Philadelphia on Friday morning.
The victim was released from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania later in the day, her eyes and lips still swollen from the savage beating she got from a man twice her size.
"This guy's a savage, he needs to be off the streets," said Lt. Johnny Walker of the Philadelphia police. "People need to understand we live in a different day today. We have to take a lot more precautions then we did back then."
Police say the victim went to withdraw money from the ATM machine inside the Lucky Food Market at 57th and Arch about 8:45 a.m.
Surveillance video shows the suspect walk up behind her, trying to see how much money she's taking from the ATM. The suspect then follows the victim down the 5600 block of Cherry Street.
That's where the man grabbed her and beat her.
"Both of her eyes are shut, she cannot open either of her eyes, she's got abrasions all over her body, she was unconscious for a short period of time," said Lt. Walker.
The victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for multiple facial fractures.
The victim's relatives say after all that, the thug managed to escape only with her ATM card, cigarettes and a purse. Outraged residents say the economy is so bad out here, people are doing horrific things just to get a few dollars.
"These people are trying to get whatever they can and they don't care who they hurt. They trying to feed their families like everybody else," said Lillie Alexander.
The suspect is described as a black male, 35 to 40 years old standing six feet tall. He was wearing a dark green t-shirt, tan-colored cargo shorts, and sneakers. He was also carrying a dark hooded sweatshirt.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia police at 215-686-TIPS (8477) or through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, robbery, assault, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 52 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 38 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 28 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 13 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 43 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 28 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
38 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
52 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos