Woman, 66, beaten, robbed after using ATM
PHILADELPHIA - August 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 66-year-old woman is recovering after she was beaten and robbed after using an ATM in Philadelphia on Friday morning.
The victim was released from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania later in the day, her eyes and lips still swollen from the savage beating she got from a man twice her size.
"This guy's a savage, he needs to be off the streets," said Lt. Johnny Walker of the Philadelphia police. "People need to understand we live in a different day today. We have to take a lot more precautions then we did back then."
Police say the victim went to withdraw money from the ATM machine inside the Lucky Food Market at 57th and Arch about 8:45 a.m.
Surveillance video shows the suspect walk up behind her, trying to see how much money she's taking from the ATM. The suspect then follows the victim down the 5600 block of Cherry Street.
That's where the man grabbed her and beat her.
"Both of her eyes are shut, she cannot open either of her eyes, she's got abrasions all over her body, she was unconscious for a short period of time," said Lt. Walker.
The victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for multiple facial fractures.
The victim's relatives say after all that, the thug managed to escape only with her ATM card, cigarettes and a purse. Outraged residents say the economy is so bad out here, people are doing horrific things just to get a few dollars.
"These people are trying to get whatever they can and they don't care who they hurt. They trying to feed their families like everybody else," said Lillie Alexander.
The suspect is described as a black male, 35 to 40 years old standing six feet tall. He was wearing a dark green t-shirt, tan-colored cargo shorts, and sneakers. He was also carrying a dark hooded sweatshirt.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia police at 215-686-TIPS (8477) or through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, robbery, assault, local/state
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos