Woman, 66, beaten, robbed after using ATM
PHILADELPHIA - August 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 66-year-old woman is recovering after she was beaten and robbed after using an ATM in Philadelphia on Friday morning.
The victim was released from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania later in the day, her eyes and lips still swollen from the savage beating she got from a man twice her size.
"This guy's a savage, he needs to be off the streets," said Lt. Johnny Walker of the Philadelphia police. "People need to understand we live in a different day today. We have to take a lot more precautions then we did back then."
Police say the victim went to withdraw money from the ATM machine inside the Lucky Food Market at 57th and Arch about 8:45 a.m.
Surveillance video shows the suspect walk up behind her, trying to see how much money she's taking from the ATM. The suspect then follows the victim down the 5600 block of Cherry Street.
That's where the man grabbed her and beat her.
"Both of her eyes are shut, she cannot open either of her eyes, she's got abrasions all over her body, she was unconscious for a short period of time," said Lt. Walker.
The victim was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for multiple facial fractures.
The victim's relatives say after all that, the thug managed to escape only with her ATM card, cigarettes and a purse. Outraged residents say the economy is so bad out here, people are doing horrific things just to get a few dollars.
"These people are trying to get whatever they can and they don't care who they hurt. They trying to feed their families like everybody else," said Lillie Alexander.
The suspect is described as a black male, 35 to 40 years old standing six feet tall. He was wearing a dark green t-shirt, tan-colored cargo shorts, and sneakers. He was also carrying a dark hooded sweatshirt.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia police at 215-686-TIPS (8477) or through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, robbery, assault, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 14 min ago
- Brisk And Cold 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 54 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 2 min ago
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 3 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 7 min ago
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Brisk And Cold
1 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
7 min ago