Memorial for teen struck, killed in alleged DUI
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - August 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a day of profound sorrow in Cape May County as family and friends gathered to remember one of two teen girls struck and killed by an alleged drunk driver.
The memorial for 15-year-old Nioami Lazicki-Gaston was held at the Radzieta Funeral Home in Cape May Court House on Saturday.
Nioami and her 13-year-old cousin, Ashley Dauber, were run down on the side of Bayshore Road in Middle Township on Tuesday night.
A memorial for Ashley will be held on Wednesday in Philadelphia.
Nioami's 14-year-old sister, Farrahanne, was with the two victims at the time of the crash but wasn't physically injured.
Joshua Malmgren, 31, is charged with two counts of 1st degree aggravated manslaughter and driving under the influence.
He faces up to 30-years behind bars if convicted.
Prosecutors said they are seeking a higher bail and said they are in the process of upgrading the charges, possibly to first-degree aggravated manslaughter.
Action News spoke to Nioami's parents earlier this week.
"She got out of the way but, by the time she screamed out up ahead, this monster was already on top of them," said Nioami and Farrahanne's father, Bill.
Nioami called her mom at 9:10 p.m. to tell her they were on their way home. Then Farrahanne called eight minutes later to say there had been an accident.
"And then my other daughter called me at 9:18 to say they both got hit by a car," said their mother, Christina Lazicki-Gaston.
"That was the worst call a parent can ever get is that their children are lying dead."
Nioami and Farrahanne lived near the accident scene. Ashley had been visiting from Northeast Philadelphia.
new jersey, cape may county, accident, DUI, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 11 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 37 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine