Midshipman dies in freak accident on I-78
GREENWICH TWP., Pa. - August 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- A U.S. Naval Academy midshipman from Pennsylvania has died after what appears to be a freak accident in Berks County.
The (Allentown) Morning Call reports 21-year-old Austin Tyler Zalik, a junior majoring in ocean engineering, died Friday in Pennsylvania's Berks County.
Authorities say Zalik, of Allentown, Pa., had been sleeping in his pickup truck in the parking lot of a gas station before the accident at 7 a.m. Authorities say the pickup may have drifted forward as Zalik slept. The truck dropped off an embankment and into the path of a tractor-trailer.
Zalik was a member of the 9th Company and was on the Naval Academy's gymnastics team and was going to be its captain in the upcoming season.
The Academy says it plans a ceremony to celebrate his life later this month when midshipmen return.
Information from: The Morning Call
pennsylvania, berks county, accident, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 40 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- No charges for FSU's Jameis Winston 26 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's