Police: Child found living in 'deplorable conditions'
NEWARK, Del. - August 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in New Castle County, Delaware say two people have been arrested after their child was found living in a home described as "unsafe" and "unhealthy."
Sandra Kelsch, 49 and her husband, Edward Kelsch, 48, were each charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Police say it was at 10:12 a.m. Friday when officers were called to the 800 block of Chambers Road in Newark to assist the SPCA with a search warrant.
When officers made entry to the home, they said they smelled a "pungent" odor of urine, making it difficult to breathe. Further inspection found the home to be in a "deplorable condition," police said.
Police eventually found 17 dogs along with cats, ducks and rabbits living in the home. Many of the animals had free reign of the house, police said, and were allowed to relieve themselves inside.
Some of the dogs had been kept in the garage, police said, and were in poor health.
Police soon learned that a 12-year-old was living at the home. A code enforcement officer condemned the building, deeming it unfit for a child.
The child was taken to AI DuPont Hospital for Children. Fortunately, doctors found there were no health issues and he was medically cleared. The child has been temporarily placed with relatives.
Both Sandra and Edward Kelsch have been arraigned and released on $500 unsecured bail.
Action News was one the scene of the raid on Friday as 28 Samoyed dogs were rounded up by the SPCA.
delaware, newark, children, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)