Delco police chase ends in Port Richmond
PORT RICHMOND - August 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A police chase that began in Delaware County ended in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia Monday evening.
The incident began around 5:30 p.m. as police were investigating a retail theft at the Rite Aid in Woodlyn, Delaware County.
A Ridley Township officer observed a vehicle matching the general description of the vehicle suspected in the robbery.
A check of the license plate revealed that the plate did not match the vehicle, which turned out be stolen out of New Castle County, Delaware.
Police say once the female driver noticed the officer was attempting to pull the car over, the driver tried to strike the police cruiser while making a getaway.
The pursuit moved to I-95 where police say the driver then tried to run down an officer that was on foot.
The officer was preparing to put down stop sticks used to gradually reduce tire pressure.
That officer, who suffered a hand injury, jumped over a guardrail to prevent being struck.
Other Delaware County police municipalities joined the pursuit, as did Philadelphia police and state police as the chase entered Philadelphia.
The pursuit came to an end shortly after the vehicle exited at Allegheny Avenue.
The vehicle hit at least one parked car before coming to a stop at Joyce and E. Westmoreland streets.
Two women and a man were arrested at the scene.
They are facing numerous motor vehicle violations, as well as charges of aggravated assault on two officers and retail theft.
Witnesses tell Action News the back of the minivan was full of diapers, toilet paper and laundry detergent.
philadelphia, delaware county, port richmond, police chase, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 1 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 46 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 46 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 46 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts 37 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
2 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
46 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
46 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
46 min ago