Delco police chase ends in Port Richmond
PORT RICHMOND - August 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A police chase that began in Delaware County ended in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia Monday evening.
The incident began around 5:30 p.m. as police were investigating a retail theft at the Rite Aid in Woodlyn, Delaware County.
A Ridley Township officer observed a vehicle matching the general description of the vehicle suspected in the robbery.
A check of the license plate revealed that the plate did not match the vehicle, which turned out be stolen out of New Castle County, Delaware.
Police say once the female driver noticed the officer was attempting to pull the car over, the driver tried to strike the police cruiser while making a getaway.
The pursuit moved to I-95 where police say the driver then tried to run down an officer that was on foot.
The officer was preparing to put down stop sticks used to gradually reduce tire pressure.
That officer, who suffered a hand injury, jumped over a guardrail to prevent being struck.
Other Delaware County police municipalities joined the pursuit, as did Philadelphia police and state police as the chase entered Philadelphia.
The pursuit came to an end shortly after the vehicle exited at Allegheny Avenue.
The vehicle hit at least one parked car before coming to a stop at Joyce and E. Westmoreland streets.
Two women and a man were arrested at the scene.
They are facing numerous motor vehicle violations, as well as charges of aggravated assault on two officers and retail theft.
Witnesses tell Action News the back of the minivan was full of diapers, toilet paper and laundry detergent.
philadelphia, delaware county, port richmond, police chase, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 25 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 6 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
9 min ago