Delco police chase ends in Port Richmond
PORT RICHMOND - August 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A police chase that began in Delaware County ended in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia Monday evening.
The incident began around 5:30 p.m. as police were investigating a retail theft at the Rite Aid in Woodlyn, Delaware County.
A Ridley Township officer observed a vehicle matching the general description of the vehicle suspected in the robbery.
A check of the license plate revealed that the plate did not match the vehicle, which turned out be stolen out of New Castle County, Delaware.
Police say once the female driver noticed the officer was attempting to pull the car over, the driver tried to strike the police cruiser while making a getaway.
The pursuit moved to I-95 where police say the driver then tried to run down an officer that was on foot.
The officer was preparing to put down stop sticks used to gradually reduce tire pressure.
That officer, who suffered a hand injury, jumped over a guardrail to prevent being struck.
Other Delaware County police municipalities joined the pursuit, as did Philadelphia police and state police as the chase entered Philadelphia.
The pursuit came to an end shortly after the vehicle exited at Allegheny Avenue.
The vehicle hit at least one parked car before coming to a stop at Joyce and E. Westmoreland streets.
Two women and a man were arrested at the scene.
They are facing numerous motor vehicle violations, as well as charges of aggravated assault on two officers and retail theft.
Witnesses tell Action News the back of the minivan was full of diapers, toilet paper and laundry detergent.
philadelphia, delaware county, port richmond, police chase, local/state
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 27 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 23 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run 25 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident
27 min ago
- Sinkhole threatens homes in Florida
11 min ago
- Easter services in Mt. Airy
30 min ago