Andy Reid: Garrett lost 8 year battle
PHILADELPHIA - August 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eagles head football coach Andy Reid issued a statement on Monday night on the death of his eldest son, Garrett.
Though no official cause of death has been released, the statement said Garrett had lost a battle that had been ongoing for eight years. Garrett Reid had a highly publicized struggle with drugs over the past decade.
The entire statement reads:
On behalf of Tammy and our family, I would like to thank everybody for their tremendous support, love, kind words and prayers during this time of great sadness. Words cannot express our sense of loss.
We loved Garrett so much. He was a wonderful son and brother. He made us laugh, he was a pleasure to be around, he always had a smile on his face, and we will miss him dearly. We will never forget him, and we will remember him with love.
Garrett's road through life was not always an easy one. He faced tremendous personal challenges with bravery and spirit. As a family, we stood by him and were inspired as he worked to overcome those challenges. Even though he lost the battle that has been ongoing for the last eight years, we will always remember him as a fighter who had a huge, loving heart.
I spoke with the team yesterday and thanked them for their thoughts and prayers. I asked them to continue with their preparations for the upcoming season until I am ready to rejoin the team.
It is in times like these that we lean on our faith, our family, our friends, and our Eagles family. We will do so in the difficult times ahead.
Thank you again for your continued support.
Garrett Reid was found dead on Sunday in a Lehigh University dorm room, where the Eagles are holding training camp. He was 29.
A private service for Garrett Reid will be held this morning at the Church of Latter Day Saints in Broomall.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent to: Laurel House, PO Box 764, Norristown, PA 19404. Laurel House is an organization devoted to helping victims of domestic violence.
philadelphia, lehigh county, andy reid, philadelphia eagles, local/state
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 36 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
36 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos