Authorities: 2nd missing boy's body found in river
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) -August 7, 20112 (WPVI) -- The bodies of two missing New Jersey boys were found in the Raritan River late Monday afternoon, nearly a day after the two best friends went missing.
The body of 10-year-old Francisco Perera was found around 3 p.m., near the base of the Route 27 bridge in nearby Highland Park, New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said. The body of 11-year-old Devine Nicholas was found about three hours later, not far from where Perera was discovrered.
The two New Brunswick boys, who were last seen by their family members early Sunday night, had been the subjects of an intense search involving numerous law enforcement agencies. It was not immediately clear what caused their deaths, and authorities would not provide further details, citing the ongoing investigation.
However, officials said there was no evidence of foul play.
Carol Leonard, Nicholas' mother, told reporters that her son did not know how to swim. She said he had gone to Perera's house around 1 p.m. Sunday, and the pair apparently left there around 6 p.m. and said they were headed to a local park.
Leonard said that as far as she knew, the boys did not regularly go to the Raritan's banks. She described her son as a fun and outgoing "good kid" who brought home all As and Bs in school.
"They didn't have any business going to the river," she said.
Jennifer Smakolski, of Franklin Township, told The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bit.ly/O1UqXv) that she was walking along the banks of the river Sunday night when she saw the two boys in the water, walking away from the shoreline. She said they were in the water up to their ankles and, concerned for their safety, she asked them if they knew how to swim.
Smakolski, who was with her 5-year-old daughter, said both boys told her they could swim. So she moved on, assuming that they would not wade much farther into the low-lying river.
When she and her daughter returned to the river area on Monday night, not long after the second body was found, Smakolski was stunned to learn of the tragedy.
"I'll be thinking about this forever," she said through tears. "If only I'd stayed a little longer."
body found, new jersey, local/state
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina 49 min ago
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip 49 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping 30 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings 29 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 46 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
30 min ago
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
49 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
29 min ago