10-to-20 year sentence handed down in inmate death
NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) - August 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania prison inmate will spend an extra 10 to 20 years in prison for beating and stomping a fellow inmate to death in 2010.
John Kasianczuk had pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the Oct. 2010 death of 49-year-old Roberto Avalle at the State Correctional Institution in Graterford, Montgomery County.
Kasianczuk's lawyer said at Monday's sentencing hearing his client had been sexually abused as a child and Avalle had threatened to do the same thing to him before the August 22 attack. Avalle died about six weeks later of a brain hemorrhage.
Public defender John Kravitz said the remark trigged an episode of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Kasianczuk was serving a robbery sentence at the time of the killing. Avalle had recently arrived to serve a witness intimidation sentence.
sentencing, norristown, pennsylvania, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 11 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 8 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 54 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
26 min ago