DA: Boy, 10, charged in Phila. home invasion
PHILADELPHIA - August 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office said a 10-year-old boy has been charged in a home invasion robbery.
The robbery happened at 3:30 p.m. Monday in the 1200 block of Luzerne Street in the Juniata Park section of the city.
The victim, a 51-year-old woman, was beaten by three boys during the robbery. She said they used household items, including a plunger, and even threw a potted plant at her head.
The woman, a widow, was described by police as having 'mental disabilities.'
She was found by neighbors cowering in the back yard.
She was taken to the hospital to be treated for her injuries and was back at home on Tuesday afternoon.
Captain John Gallagher says the trio made off with just $20 after rifling through the apartment.
The family of the 10-year-old would not comment to Action News. However, officials say the family asked neighbors to call the police on the boy Monday after what they describe as weeks of increasingly dangerous behavior.
"The mom and other relatives of the house said, 'Please call the police and take away him, because he is out of control,'" said Hong-An Dao."It doesn't surprise me with a lot of kids here, they learn from the older kids, and they want to be like them," said Edward Pastoriza. "But that's the wrong way to go about life." The 10-year-old is charged with Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault, Conspiracy, Criminal Trespass, Possession of an Instrument of Crime (PIC), Theft, Recklessly Endangering Another Person (REAP), Robbery and Burglary, District Attorney Seth Williams said in a news release.
Investigators tell Action News they are looking for at least two more suspects between the ages of 7 and 9.
Because of state law, if the other two boys are in fact under 10, they can't be charged in this crime.Investigators say as soon as they identify them, they will be referred to the Department of Human Services.
philadelphia, juniata, home invasion, robbery, local/state, kenneth moton
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- Storm Tracker 6 and AccuWeather
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 23 min ago
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned 42 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
23 min ago