National Night Out festivities held all over the area
PHILADELPHIA - August 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Festivities for the annual National Night Out were held all over the country and in the Philadelphia area Tuesday night.
It is a national initiative to promote a partnership between the police and the community.
Safety for the community is the message at National Night Out events Tuesday night.
The goal is always to let people know they are not alone in the effort to enjoy the comfort of living safely in their own communities.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey stopped by several Night Out celebrations in Philadelphia, encouraging neighbors to take a stand whenever necessary to help clean up the streets.
"It can't just be one day at of the year; it has to be every day that we have this partnership, an alliance to work together to make the neighborhoods safe," said Commissioner Ramsey.
2012 has been a particularly violent year in the city of Philadelphia. More than 800 shootings have been reported, with 212 homicides. That puts Philadelphia on pace to top last year's homicide rate of 324, which was the highest in three years.
But Commissioner Ramsey says the solution goes far beyond the streets of Philadelphia and all the way to the halls of Congress.
"With the lack of firm gun laws, that coupled with stiff sentences, and working with the community to identify people causing harm, that's how you reduced in the streets," Commissioner Ramsey said.
For now, the festivities gave neighbors a chance to forget about their personal challenges and enjoy each other's company.
"People are disadvantaged, and this is an opportunity to lift up spirits just for the evening so you can forget about your problems, and get some free hot dogs, water ice and meet the community," said Angela Simon.
"This is a great community, and we're just trying to make it better for everybody who lives in the area," said Jonathan Williams.
This is the 29th Annual National Night Out.
philadelphia police, guns, homicide, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today 13 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police seek missing woman; baby found 12 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera 58 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 30 min ago
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- DA: Woman gambled away stepson's inheritance
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
58 min ago
- Drug dealers targeted in Collingdale sweep
34 min ago
- Philadelphia police officer's stolen SUV...
22 min ago