Investigation into Kensington building collapse
KENSINGTON - August 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials are continuing their investigation into the collapse of an abandoned building in Philadelphia's Kensington section Wednesday morning.
Crews with Philadelphia Gas Works were called out to the scene Wednesday night for the report of a leak in the mess caused when a building between Madison and Willard streets in Kensington collapsed.
The gas line valves were turned off and PGW says there was no ruptured line. Officials believe the cause of the gas leak was a propane tank, but that has yet to be located.
The fire department declared the leak was not serious enough to spark evacuations.
"The only thing I'm worried about is if I have to leave my house and what's going on with this building," resident Dorene House said.
Several floors of the former lampshade factory came down just before 11:00 a.m., crushing a couple of vehicles.
"We heard a thud, a boom, then all this red smoke," said Frank Kopervoss of Kensington.
Three homes were evacuated and there were concerns someone was inside, but the fire department said it appears the building was empty.
"They need to hurry up and knock this down. It's been there for years. We are tired of seeing this building here and I'm sure it has all types of violations anyway," Brabham said.
L&I says it went to court last month to force the owner, who owes $33,000 in back taxes, to do something about the decaying property.
philadelphia, kensington, collapse, gas leak, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 58 min ago
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 16 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County 47 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
58 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos