CDC offers preliminary report on Del. suicides
DOVER, Del. (AP) - August 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Federal health officials have completed a preliminary report regarding a recent rash of suicides of teenagers in Delaware.
A medical epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was expected to join state officials on a media conference call on Thursday to discuss the findings.
The state Department of Health and Social Services asked the CDC in March to conduct an epidemiological investigation into the suicide deaths of several teens and young adults in Kent and Sussex counties.
One aim of the report was to examine risk factors and make recommendations about strategies that schools, communities and state officials can use to prevent future suicides.
A final report from CDC is not expected for several more months.
suicide, teens, delaware, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 23 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 16 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?