Police: Robbery suspect jumped off roof
NEW CASTLE, Del. - August 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Delaware State Police say the suspect wanted in a pair of New Castle restaurant robbery attempts jumped off a roof during his arrest.
Robert L. Figgs, 31, of New Castle, was wanted for two robberies on Friday night in the city.
After police identified him as the suspect, officers went to arrest him on Wednesday at a home in Elkton, Maryland.
While police were trying to arrest him, officers say he jumped from a second-story roof, sustaining injuries that required him to be taken to the hospital.
Figgs was later released from the hospital and arraigned on robbery and weapons charges. He was ordered to be held on $72,000 secured bond.
The robbery attempts happened the McDonald's on North DuPont Highway at 8:57 p.m. Friday and at the nearby restaurant The Dog House a few minutes later.
In the McDonald's robbery, police say Figgs approached the sales counter and confronted a 19-year-old worker, demanding money. However, the worker fled.
So, police say, Figgs grabbed the cash register but was stopped by a 44-year-old customer. Figgs and the customer fought and, at one point, Figgs cut the man with a knife. That man was not seriously injured.
Then, at The Dog House, police say Figgs placed an order and then, when the clerk opened the cash register, Figgs allegedly tried to grab the drawer.
However, the worker was able to push him away before he could get any cash. Police say Figgs then threatened to return and kill everyone in the restaurant. No one was injured in this incident.
delaware, new castle county, robbery, local/state
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 14 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 24 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
24 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos