Lightning blamed in Pa., N.J. fires
WARMINSTER, Pa. - August 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials say lightning is the cause in a number of fires that occurred on Wednesday.
A 3-alarm fire broke out in Salisbury Township, Lehigh County at 2:00 p.m., as a strong storm was moving through.
20 minutes later, someone was hurt when a bolt hit the Drivers License Center in nearby Hanover Township.
Then fire broke out just before 4:00 p.m. in the 1100 block of Log College Drive.
The fire began on the roof of the two-story home.
A lightning strike is the suspected cause as storms were in the area when the fire broke out.
The fire was placed under control around 5:00 p.m.
Officials say the homeowner was inside the house at the time of the fire, but was able to escape.
There were no reported injuries.
Meanwhile, fire officials say lightning strikes also started two house fires in Mercer County.
Both occurred in the Princeton area around 5:30 p.m. as strong storms hit the region.
One fire occurred along the 100 block of Jefferson Road in Princeton Borough as lightning struck a house under construction.
The fire was confined to the attic.
The second fire occurred at a residence on Henderson Road.
Officials say the blaze started in the attic after a lightning strike.
A woman has been displaced from the home.
There were no injuries reported in either of these fires.
pennsylvania, bucks county, fire, lightning, mercer county, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 20 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
18 min ago