Iraq war vet charged in deadly overdose
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - August 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have arrested an Iraq war veteran on charges of giving heroin to a fellow vet who died of an overdose at a Veterans Affairs hospital in New Jersey.
Authorities have charged 28-year-old Ryan Krieger with distribution of heroin and obstruction.
The former Marine was an in-patient at the post-traumatic stress disorder ward at the VA Medical Center in Lyons.
Authorities say Krieger and another patient, identified as J.Z., sneaked out of the hospital to buy heroin in 2011. Authorities say they returned and used the heroin with a third patient.
Prosecutors say neither Krieger nor the other patient alerted anyone when J.Z. collapsed. Staff discovered him dead in his room later that day.
Officials say Krieger initially lied about his involvement.
It's not clear whether Krieger has a lawyer.
iraq, drugs, veterans, new jersey, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 31 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 26 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 22 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 27 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 21 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
26 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car...
28 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's...
31 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
24 min ago