Iraq war vet charged in deadly overdose
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - August 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have arrested an Iraq war veteran on charges of giving heroin to a fellow vet who died of an overdose at a Veterans Affairs hospital in New Jersey.
Authorities have charged 28-year-old Ryan Krieger with distribution of heroin and obstruction.
The former Marine was an in-patient at the post-traumatic stress disorder ward at the VA Medical Center in Lyons.
Authorities say Krieger and another patient, identified as J.Z., sneaked out of the hospital to buy heroin in 2011. Authorities say they returned and used the heroin with a third patient.
Prosecutors say neither Krieger nor the other patient alerted anyone when J.Z. collapsed. Staff discovered him dead in his room later that day.
Officials say Krieger initially lied about his involvement.
It's not clear whether Krieger has a lawyer.
iraq, drugs, veterans, new jersey, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 52 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids