Iraq war vet charged in deadly overdose
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - August 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities have arrested an Iraq war veteran on charges of giving heroin to a fellow vet who died of an overdose at a Veterans Affairs hospital in New Jersey.
Authorities have charged 28-year-old Ryan Krieger with distribution of heroin and obstruction.
The former Marine was an in-patient at the post-traumatic stress disorder ward at the VA Medical Center in Lyons.
Authorities say Krieger and another patient, identified as J.Z., sneaked out of the hospital to buy heroin in 2011. Authorities say they returned and used the heroin with a third patient.
Prosecutors say neither Krieger nor the other patient alerted anyone when J.Z. collapsed. Staff discovered him dead in his room later that day.
Officials say Krieger initially lied about his involvement.
It's not clear whether Krieger has a lawyer.
iraq, drugs, veterans, new jersey, local/state
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 32 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 19 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ