Rain brings flooding, headaches to Philadelphia area
PHILADELPHIA - August 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- In many parts of our area, including Bala Cynwyd, it was a steady and annoying rain for the Friday morning commute. Localized street flooding stranded cars and kept emergency crews busy in the suburbs.
The Action Cam was in Media, Pa. as firefighters worked to save a driver trapped inside a white Volvo around 10:00 a.m. on Sandy Bank Road.
The Rose Tree Fire Company brought out the ladder truck for this one. And while it wasn't the morning for a sun roof, it helped this woman who was able to climb out to safety.
"We recommend 3 inches of water or more, you turn. Don't even try it, turn around and come back the way you came," said firefighter Patrick Tevelino.
Along Kelly Drive and the Schuylkill River, Fairmount Park crews were hard at work unclogging the sewer grates. They got soaked as cars sped through water collecting on the side of the road and splashed them.
In Center City Philadelphia, umbrellas took over the sidewalks while clouds slowly moved through.
"Yeah, a lot of rain," said Candace Thomson of South Philadelphia. "I ride my bike to work, so I'm just kind of in my element right now."
The city says despite the constant downpour there were no major issues or street flooding.
And finally Friday afternoon, a little sun.
"A little gloomy," said Denise Reid of Langhorne, Pa. "But the sun is shining now and I'm sure the rain will stop and we'll be fine."
pennsylvania, bucks county, severe weather, local/state, kenneth moton
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 52 min ago
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
52 min ago