Christie backs Romney's choice for vice president
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - August 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, himself often mentioned as a possible Republican vice-presidential candidate, backed Mitt Romney's choice for the role Saturday, saying the GOP ticket was uniquely positioned to turn around a stagnant national economy.
Romney chose Paul Ryan, a congressman from Wisconsin and chairman of the House Budget Committee, as his running mate. In a statement released by the Romney camp, Christie said the addition of Ryan made "a team that understands the economic stagnation our country has been facing the last four years and the urgency with which we need to change course."
"The Romney-Ryan team is uniquely positioned to make the tough choices necessary to confront our fiscal challenges and get results," Christie said.
Christie's statement Saturday echoed that of others who had been under consideration by Romney to join his ticket. Ohio Sen. Rob Portman and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty were also among those who said they looked forward to helping Romney and Ryan win the election.
Christie has been campaigning and raising money for Romney across the country in recent weeks.
Christie had repeatedly addressed speculation about his being shortlisted by Romney by saying it was up to the former Massachusetts governor to make announcements about his vice-presidential pick and about the Republican National Convention, where Christie has been reported to be in the running to give the keynote speech. Speculation about Christie's possible starring role at the upcoming convention heated up after his name wasn't on the list of seven GOP convention speakers announced this week.
gov. chris christie, mitt romney, election, new jersey, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler! 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 15 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and Cooler!
25 min ago