Shock, sadness over vendor murder in North Phila.
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - August 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Family and friends are grieving after a newspaper vendor well-known in his community was found shot to death inside his North Philadelphia apartment.
"Doesn't make any sense. He's my oldest brother, and you're just going to kill him?"
Linda Stanley was stunned to hear that her brother Aamar Stanley was shot and killed early Monday morning inside his North Philadelphia apartment. Not only did he live on this block, but he worked here, selling newspapers.
"They killed my brother," she said. "For what? Papers? Cigarettes? Come on, now."
"Murder around here is senseless," said Aamar's brother Ronald Stanley. "Murdering people for no apparent reason."
Late Monday morning, detectives returned to the 2200 block of West Lehigh Avenue, trying to learn more about what exactly happened here earlier.
Police had arrived around 4:00 a.m. and found the 63-year-old man shot three times inside his second-floor home. He was pronounced dead within the hour at Temple University Hospital.
Neighbors say you could always see him selling newspapers on the street around 23rd and Lehigh. He was a father and a hard worker. They can't imagine why someone would want to hurt him.
"Aamar was my wake-up call," said neighbor Regina Young. "Every time I wake up and look out the window I'm looking for Aamar. If I don't see Aamar I know it's time to lay back down."
"So to hear what happened to him is very devastating," said neighbor Charles Crawford. "It's a shame what this city, what this world has come to."
No arrests have been made as an investigation continues.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS or through phillypolice.com.
homicide, shooting, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery 40 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy