Man arrested in Canada for 1998 Phila. murder
CHINATOWN - August 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a cold case dating back 14 years in Philadelphia, but the memory of blood stains and scattered body parts remained vivid to law enforcement authorities and now there is an arrest.
The chain of events that led to the arrest began last week in Toronto, Canada when a 35-year-old man was arrested on a DUI charge.
He apparently gave a false name and was released.
Then Canadian authorities say they learned his real identity, Kai-Guo Huang.
With the help of Philadelphia police and U.S. Marshals Service, Toronto police fugitive detectives arrested Huang again, this time on charges of murder, conspiracy, and abuse of a corpse.
In July of 1998, parts of a man's body were found in the trash in Browns Mills, New Jersey.
The victim, Hoy Yang, was tracked back to a restaurant on North 10th Street in Philadelphia's Chinatown where he was employed.
In the basement, Philadelphia police discovered bloody butcher knives and a meat cleaver.
Neighbors and those who knew the victim baffled and doubtful at the time by reports the victim might be part of a gang.
"This guy, I don't think a gang, because [he's] living here a long time, I know him," Chinatown resident Michael Tran said at the time.
"It's just sad to see someone got killed in the area; it's a tragedy," resident Jon Wong said back in 1998.
The owners of the restaurant, two brothers, went missing at the time of the killing.
It was reported that Yang had tried to extort them before his murder.
It's believed the man arrested in Canada is one of those brothers.
Huang remains in custody in Canada awaiting an extradition hearing.
philadelphia, canada, homicide, local/state, john rawlins
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 41 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection 56 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 41 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 18 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 10 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 36 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Skippack student hospitalized with...
56 min ago