Woman killed in crash with SEPTA bus ID'd
OGONTZ - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the woman killed in a crash involving a car and a SEPTA bus in the Ogontz section of Philadelphia on Monday.
Yvonne Scott, 58, of the 6500 block of North Gratz Street, was a passenger in the car involved. She was also the aunt of the driver, 31-year-old Saria Scott-Jarrett.
It happened just after 6:00 p.m. Monday along the 6100 block of Old York Road near Sparks Street.
Witness Maurice Bowman tells Action News he was traveling southbound on Old York Road just before the accident when he noticed the woman in an Acura traveling northbound swerve into his lane.
"She was coming down, she was kind of in my lane so I swerved out the way and I looked in my rearview mirror and she just ran into the bus," Bowman said.
Officials say Scott-Jarrett taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center where she is in critical condition.
Yvonne Scott was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police say 11 people onboard the bus, including the bus driver, were injured. All 11 were taken to three area hospitals where they were treated and released.
Authorities tell Action News they are looking into the possibility that Scott-Jarrett was under the influence.
"There was strong odor of alcohol coming from the Acura, it also had open containers of alcohol inside of that vehicle," Small said.
Police say the bus is equipped with interior and exterior cameras which caught the incident, but it is up to SEPTA to decide whether or not to release the video.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, family members were still reeling from Scott's death.
"She would give anybody anything. She had a good heart and I love her and I'm going to miss her so very much," said Scott's daughter, Yolonda Frank.
philadelphia, SEPTA, accident, local/state
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 24 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 50 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 43 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 1 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- The 10-minute nose job
10 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
50 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
43 min ago