Water main break causes street collapse in Mount Airy
MOUNT AIRY - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Neighbors are dealing with a mess after another water main break in Philadelphia - this time in the city's Mount Airy section.
The road is blocked off and crews are out working at the site after the early morning break to a 16-inch water main on the 900 block of Wadsworth Avenue.
"And it sent like an earthquake split straight down the street," explained neighborhood resident Gene Frasier.
Frasier was among the neighbors out gazing at the street on the 900 block of Wadsworth Avenue, which now sits buckled and broken in front of their homes.
This morning just before 4:30 a.m. water gushed down the street after a break in the 16-inch water main.
Brenda Whitlock tells Action News, "There was so much water it was like a river, it was really scary."
Gene Frazier tells us, "I come home and notice the street all broke up. I mean literally, a 25-foot split and then some. And my whole driveway's sunk."
The Water Department says the water main is 63-years-old, and that the water did not flood any properties. Neighbors say this isn't the first time they've dealt with nearby water main breaks. The Water Department explains while there have been breaks in the area they have not been on the same water main.
"This is like the fourth time this has happened," says neighbor Renee Calabrese. "This is the worst one yet. It actually looks like an earthquake hit."
Just before 9:00 a.m. PGW and the Fire Department were called to the block after a neighbor smelled gas. While crews inspected and checked levels, firefighters went door to door telling people to stay inside.
The Water Department is expecting to have the water main fixed by the end of the day, but at this point there is no word on when the street will be fixed.
water main break, collapse, west oak lane, philadelphia, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 6 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 9 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos